Sunday, December 21, 2008

"Something Rotten"

I finished Something Rotten by Alan Gratz this morning at about 7am. I ended up reading the book all night because it was so funny. I also thought it was interesting because I'm a theatre person and it was basically Hamlet (go Shakespeare!) but not. And, if that wasn't funny enough, the characters in the book actually do the play Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, which is a spin on Hamlet told from the view point of the two minor characters in the title. I absolutely love this play and studied it last spring in my modern playwrights class. As if that wasn't enough, there are two characters in the book named Roscoe Grant and Gilbert Stern... sound familiar??

I'll post a real review later this week (hopefully before Christmas, but probably after) but I just needed to say READ IT! Especially if you know the story of Hamlet, and even if you don't, read it anyway! 

No comments:

Post a Comment